View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
crazyirishman

Default Re: New Coolidor! Pictures, Questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb913 View Post
Is there a better way of holding the beads to that cigar box lid? I was a little leery of glue, I don't want a lingering scent from it in there.
You might try what I did for my analog hygrometer and my humidifier. It will cost next to nothing.

I took a spare, business card sized magnet from the front of my fridge and cut it in half, firstly. After that, I put the halves together to find out which sides would polarize to each other. After that, I just cut them to size to fit on the specific instruments (one square for the back of the humidifier, two smaller rectangles to put on either side of the hygrometer since I wanted access to the center oriented calibration screw).

I had some double-sided Weather King mounting tape after sealing up the windows in my basement, so I cut a piece the to size for each magnet. Miunt one magnet to the cigar box and the other to the jars.

The tape and magnetism is enough to hold an oasis foam humidifier fully charged with PG solution upside-down from the bottom of my humidor lid and not fall off every time I open and close the lid.

Maybe just use a few strips of tape for the Tupperware container of beads and one each for the jars. As I was typing this, I realized that you won't need to remove the jars and Tupperware the same way you would a humidifier, so just straight taping would be best for your application, I think.

The roll of mounting tape is huge, and the jars have what, a +/- ninety day lifespan if you don't recharge them and just tows them out (silly, really), it will last you a long time and has a lot of other mounting uses around the house (such as '06 Detroit Tigers AL Championship pendants and wall-mounted Irish tricolors, but those are just vague examples ).

Experiment and have fun with it, that's half of what building something yourself is all about!