View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation
Default Re: Finally Built a Cigar Lounge!

One of the big decisions centered around insulation. I promised Grace I’d do everything possible to mitigate any cigar smoke seeping into the main part of the house. So while weather tight doors were a no brainer, I also decided on spray foam insulation. Lots of research went into the decision, and I know more about things like vapor barriers and R values and permeance than I care to. In the end, I went with the “closed cell” spray foam option which insulates the hell out of the space (R value of 6-6.5 per sq inch), but more importantly, has a permeance of 0.8 perm. In layman’s terms, the lounge holds its temp extremely well and has a better than code vapor barrier throughout. The spray foam went everywhere except beneath the floor: all walls and ceilings were foamed with the stuff. The down side: forget about ever snaking anything through the walls. The closed-cell foam is basically concrete.

After the spray foam went in, the dry wall went up. Phase II of the project is going to include a walk-in humidor which I had the contractor rough out. In addition to the spray foam that went in the walls and ceilings of the walk-in, he used green board for the dry wall in there. He used regular dry wall in the lounge itself.