View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #55
kenstogie
following the whiterabbit

Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
kenstogie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Popcorn Popper Coffee Roasting

Well it's done. I have roasted my first batch. I opted for the Sumatra Litong Dolok Sangull, (could you make the name of a coffee a little longer?) as it seemed like it had the biggest roast range, city to vienna.

Anyway I loaded up the little tray, (1/2 cup) turned on the popper, let it warm up 30 secs and dumped them in.

I was using a guide that I found on coffee geeks (link) or that some gracious BOTL pointed me to.

During the process I noticed some popping but nothing distinctive that clearly represented a "stage" nor was there alot of popping at one time. I would describe it as more occasional. There did seem to be some crackling toward the end. Could have been the noise of the machine or I suppose, my lack of hearing, my inexperience or most likely a combination of all of the above.

To get to the below levels the total time of roasting was 20 mins or maybe slightly more which was way more time than the article on coffee geeks said it would be. The Macro shot is the actual finished product and the one below it is the sweet maria's guide my guess it that I roasted a Full City to Full City+ but again it's my first time and that's only a guess.

Of course I had to grind up some and try it. It was quite good I might add too. I tried it both "plain" and with a little cream and sugar. To my surprise the "plain" was just about as good as the C/S one and I could pick up more flavors with the plain. I understand that I should actually wait for 4-24 hours but wanted to try it.

Last edited by kenstogie; 10-27-2009 at 08:27 PM.
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote