View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #6
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mold....DAMN HOW I HATE YOU!

I had a mold issue in my wineador a few months back. I ended up scrapping all of my HF beads I had used, and separated my cigars into 3 categories: those that didn't have any mold, those that had white mold on the body (none on the foot), and those that had mold on the foot/blue or green mold. When ordering my HCM beads, I asked Michael what I should do, and he recommended wiping down the wineador with a diluted bleach solution, letting it dry, and then reseasoning.

I quarantined the cigars that had mold on the body from the ones that were free and clear (each category in their own tupperware with a boveda, wiped down the mold on body with Tito's vodka, only because I didn't have everclear on hand), and threw away the third category (mold on foot, or colorful mold) while I was seasoning the wineador again. I probably through out 100+ cigars over the past year. But after this, I haven't been touched by mold at all, so I chalk it up as a success.

Interestingly enough, the mold seemed to start with my 2009 box of Anejo 49s. I had a box of RASCC sitting above the box of Anejo, so those seemed to get attacked pretty badly by the mold. But none of the other CCs seemed to get any mold, even beside other cigars that were. And the mold was growing at 65% humidity, I recalibrated my humidor and even still the mold would continue. So my takeaway from the whole ordeal was to not store any more Anejos in my humidor, and that HCM beads rock!
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote