Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #770
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
They didn't have the Van Winkle 12, but I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel along with the GTS.

While they didn't have the 12, they did have one bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle 23, and it was $169 (might have been $179, but I don't think so). I couldn't bring myself to buy it (as I don't feel I have the palate to appreciate it), but from what I've seen, that seemed like a good price.

I asked if they got any Eagle Rare 17, as I likely would have bought it, but they did not. I saw a bottle of Handy Sazerac behind the counter, but didn't jump to buy it as I don't know much about it (not that I know much about the GTS except for the rave reviews here and elsewhere ).
Damn the 23yr is like $230+ here, and the 20yr is $130+. While Stagg is great, and the 12 and 15yr Van Winlkes (I haven't had the 20 or 23), the W.L.Weller of the BTAC is the best bourbon I have had to date. Straight/neat, 126 proof, yet still smooth packed with tons of flavor. I hear the Eagle Rare 17 is going downhill. Something about them storing it in stainless steel tanks so it doesn't age any longer since they won't have any more ready for awhile, so it's very limited. I've still never seen a bottle. The store managers snag it up immediately. Ugh. I don't have any experience with Ryes so the Handy and 18yr Sazerac didn't appeal to me. Hope you like the Stagg! I tried it neat, good but a little hot which took away from the flavor. Definitely needs a little water to tone it down a little to a lower proof. That Weller though is phenomenal neat. No burn, but a late warmth of the torso.

I am currently sipping on some Four Roses Limited Edition 2010 Barrel Strength. Very nice.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote