View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Confused new pipe smoker........Too Mild

first question to you would be: are you still actively smoking cigars within days/hours of smoking your pipes?

if you answer "yes", then i would say that the cigars are so in your face with their flavor delivery that your taste buds can't taste the pipe tobaccos.
may sound odd to you, but trust me... i went from mild aromatics, to cigars for about 5-6 years, then back to pipes. it took me a couple months of not smoking cigars, and only pipes, before i was able to pick up a LOT of the flavors from certain pipe tobaccos.

also, if these tins are freshly opened, they may not have aired out enough... think of a fresh cigar that's too humid - flavors end up being muted. not saying that the tobacco needs to be totally dry, some comes ready to smoke in humidity standards, but there's something about letting it time to breathe, like a wine.

not saying you'd have to stop smoking cigars altogether... but i would smoke about 2-4 a day, and then i weened myself to pipes. those first couple months, the only tobaccos that i could 'taste' were the latakia and oriental heavy blends.