View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #605
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
Thanks for the advice Mark. The tree is in the ground already (planted by the nursery where we purchased it from) but they did add any amendments to the soil. It is starting to produce fruit though. Their guidance to us was water everyday for the first week and then 2-3x a week after that. They did make a 'well' of mulch around it and stated fill the 'well' and that will suffice for water for the tree. I will say I am somewhat fearful of adding fertilizer (too much or not enough). I have been keeping it simple by adding MiracleGro to it. Is that beneficial? BTW, thanks for the input. I will read up on those sites tonight.

It sounds like you're all set there Jay. It appears that the nursery crew most likely prepared the soil prior to planting your tree. You may want to call and ask them if they did prepare your soil with fertilizer just for the fun of it. If they did, great. If they did not, there's most likely a reason. I would also ask about a fertilization program for your tree once it has established itself in your yard. The one thing you do not want to do is over fertilize and burn out your beautiful avocado tree.

Enjoy all of that guacamole Jay!