View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Robulous78

Default Re: Converting a wine-cooler into a humidor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You can spend as much or as little as you feel is necessary. Cedar shelves or trays are not at all necessary but many like the look. With my second Vinotemp I chose to use the wire shelves as it is mainly for box storage, I use empty boxes to hold singles. In my first, I added cedar shelves by cutting 4"x1/4" cedar planks(Woodcraft). I used two pieces per shelf and left about 1-2" in between for air flow.

I also use 1lb of Heartfelt 65% beads in two bags, one on the top shelf and one on the bottom.

The biggest problem with a condenser fridge is raising the temp to an acceptable range for cigars(60-70degrees) for this you will need to connect an external controller such as those made by Johnson Controllers.
Wow... Alot of information, Thanks Bobarian, a few more questions from a newb if you don't mind...

these controllers? are they cheaper then just buying a new or used cooler? can you ball-park there price?

to be completely honest I am just now starting out on my exploration of cigarland... I am doing fine with what I have currently but I have high hopes for the future...

most of my moo-lah goes to my sticks... So I am trying to accomplish adequate storage for my future expansions on the cheap...

Any bargain or at the least cost effect storage hints anyone can offer? I also hear of bagging sticks and placing them into unused regular beer coolers with beads... thoughts?

My over all question is where does adequate protection meet cost effectiveness?

Thanks BOTL / Bobarian for all the interest and help,

Rob