View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I need some serious motivation.....

The 2 bits of advice from me (this is for once you've decided you're ready to lose it):

1) Remove choice as much as possible. By this I mean - figure out something fairly low cal that you can stand for breakfast and lunch and only eat that. I have a zone bar for breakfast (180 calories) and the healthy choice option at work (usually some form of turkey and a veg for ~300-400 calories). That means that by dinner time I've only consumed ~600 calories. For me to maintain my current weight based on my activity level I'd need 1500 calories a day. As long as I stay reasonable for dinner, I have a net loss for calories that day.

2) Use a tool called "Don't break the chain". I can't remember what actor I heard talk about this - but it involves printing a calendar and checking off each time you meet your goal. The goal can be "Exercise at least 3 times a week" or "Eat under 1500 calories a day". Each day/week that you meet your goal - cross it out. For me it is always so easy to say "I'm just going to take today off" or "Ahhhh - I'm tired. Screw it." But having the knowledge/visualization that you have completed that goal every single day for 6 months will make you want to keep the chain going. I have a friend who keeps 3 "Don't Break the Chain"s going. He's losing weight (Walk at least 1.5 miles a day), learning another language (do 1 lesson on Rosetta Stone every day), and learning guitar (practice at least 30 minutes a day).
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote