View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Gran Habano Corojo #5 Fumas

I picked up a bundle of 20 toros from JoeCigar a few days ago, for $20. I've heard good things about these, and figured for $1/stick, can't go wrong. For what it's worth, they're ~$25 on CBid, and $27.50 on CI.

They were on my doorstep yesterday, my wife had a late meeting for work and I was cooking steaks, so I figured it was a good opportunity to burn one. It's getting cold out so I made a small fire, setup my laptop to watch a missed episode of House, and went to work on the cigar.

I made a pretty shallow cut, and was greeted by a bunch of filler bits and pieces. Not a good sign, but not at all unexpected either. Fortunately that stopped after the first few draws and I never had a problem again. The draw was a little tight, but this was fresh off the truck, and I cut the cap in the dark so it may have been a bit TOO shallow. Either way, it wasn't bad enough to re-cut.

The initial flavors were surprisingly good. Very smooth, soft, creamy flavors, maybe a little sweetness. No pepper, no spice, just a lot of toasty, woody, earthy flavors. Plenty of med-full-bodied smoke. It changed a bit after the first third, some spicyness started to creep in while the sweetness faded out a bit. Still very enjoyable.

By the time I got down to the last third, my show was over, the fire was dying down, my steaks were done and my wife was home, so I pitched it. And that's what I love about a $1 smoke.

All in all, I was very impressed. I enjoyed this cigar more than some that cost several times as much, so I'll definitely buy it again.

My rating, on the cigar alone I give it a 3/5, but considering the price I give it a 4.5/5.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote