View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Panned cigars you enjoy

OK, here is an interesting twist to start a discussion. What is the cigar that you really enjoy, but seems to be downplayed, or it is rated poorly - here or someplace else. For example, Gurkhas are generally thought to be overhyped and overpriced, and most consider them dog rockets - but someone must like them because they sell a lot of them.

I remember the Havana Classico line in the late 1990s. They came out and were priced a bit out of line. Then JR snatched up a snot-load of them at ridiculous prices and sold them cheaply. I picked up a few boxes at ridiculously low prices (they were marketed at $10+ a stick) and they were an excellent cigar (I don't spend $10 on a cigar now 15 years later). Anyway, I got some of the real bargain version over on CI as cheap smoke to give away to moochers and to burn as a quickie (they are 5X32). Well, surprisingly, I enjoy them as a quickie. And at about $.50 a stick, they are better than a Swisher by a dam site - for a hand-rolled, long filler cigar, with a capped head... not bad at all. (yes, I took one apart to see that it was long filler.

I also enjoy a number of cigars that get little or no press, I do not know if they are panned, but as many here know, I enjoy some of the old stalwart standbys that have been around for many years - El Rey del Mundo Robustos being at the top of the list, and Punch Rothschilds, both of which are much as I remember them from many years past.

So, what cigar is out there that you enjoy which is either panned, avoided, disparaged, ridiculed, thought of as a "cheap cigar", a "yard gar", or simply ignored?