View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #47
badbriar

Default Re: Bought first Pipe today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Bought my first pipe Saturday.
Thought I'd give piping a try after years of cigars. I know they are two different animals but I'm sure it'll be an enjoyable alternative.
Bought a couple of samplers, will be delivered this week and I'm pretty excited to see what's out there!!!
Way to go! You will find that there is a whole world of tastes and flavors out there in pipe tobaccos. IMHO, the variety is wider than I find in cigars - this is just my ! A couple of things to note; Aromatics rarely taste like they smell. Better quality pipe tobacco is truly worth the investment - usually much better flavors. Review youtube videos several times on packing, lighting, etc. Take care in your lighting - don't char the bowl rim!!! DON'T USE A TORCH LIGHTER! Read up on tongue bite and the potential causes.
Get three pipes for your rotation and clean them regularly. Get a cheap 151 rum for cleaning - will definitely sanitize, leaves the bowl slightly sweet and removes mild to moderate ghosting. Check out Smokingpipes.com, Tobaccoratings.com and other good sites for good prices and pipe tobacco reviews. Have fun!