View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #1325
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Could be the retoucher in me but I think the heal tool leaves little to be desired even in CS5. I have played with it and it never seems to produce acceptable results. I played with an image one day and I was able to retouch powerlines out of a pretty busy image much faster and cleaner doing it the good old fashioned way with much better results. I found the heal tool made the corrections obvious where me using the clone tool was mostly undetectable. Like I said it could be the retoucher in me is too critical. I worked in a large commercial Photo Studio right out of college and had the pickiest of people approving my work so when I started I needed my work to be 100%. That was also long before the CS days before they created the heal tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Your mileage may vary. My comment was directed at comparing CS4 to CS5. In CS4 when you were healing and crossed an area of high contrast it diddnt know what to do. Now in CS5 you can cross those high contrast areas and have a decent outcome.

Using a tool that takes seconds to complete what would otherwise take hours or days its a start nut as you have said leaves much to be desired.

Prettymuch what BOTH of you said IMO

There's no way the new tool has half the magic fairy dust that folks were claiming, and I still usually go for the tried and true methods that I cut my teeth on.

HOWEVER, there are certain small fixes that I can do now without it automatically grabbing a terrible sample of a high contrast area nearby, which makes it a semi-usable tool for once. . So it sped up just a little some of my small retouching, saving me from having to go back and correct as much.

ALSO one of my steps for doing certain kinds of larger areas includes creating a second layer with a large area of cloned "fix", making no attempt to have the edges blend, and then blending it later with a layer mask. The new tool has proved to be very effective for this.