View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #4137
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Mike.

Accidentally moved the screen down to the next post when reading the name.

The coal slag worked well. The shortcoming was the blaster and my lack of a proper hood. I ended up with slag in my eyes when doing the bottom 1/3 of the inside of the barrel. But, it worked in the end and I got the job done. Thanks for the recipies, I will put them to use.

My sister donated two chuck roasts for me to break in my smoker. Her in-laws raise beef cattle in northern Wisconsin. Everything I've eaten from there has been fantastic quality. They have large bones in each one. I originally wanted to do a pork shoulder but cash is tight and these were free. I'm working off recommendations I found here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...-amnps-pellets as there isn't a ton of info on "chuckies". I washed each in cold water, paper towel dried, rubbed in worchestire sauce, and seasoned with some stuff I had on hand. I read to stay away from sugary rubs with beef. So, I just sprinkled on a store bought BBQ rub, a little pepper, and another store bought seasoning containing roasted garlic & bell pepper flakes. I also read most store bought seasonings are high in salt, both listed it high, so I didn't add any more on my own.

Here they are, one wrapped in celo the other about to be. They're in the fridge now and will be put in the smoker at 240. I loaded my UDS basket up with normal Kingsford blue with chunks of apple (trimmed & cut from my own trees) and a little hickory.

The OP of the thread I linked foiled both when IT reached 165 or so, then added:
4 ounces of Apple Juice.
1 ounce of Ken's Teriyaki Marinade.
2 ounces of BBQ sauce.

I'll be doing something similar and draining this at the end for an Au Jus. I plan on removing them when IT reaches around 205-210, resting, then pulling.

Any idea which of the many chuck roasts I have? Since they are not store bought, I don't know. They weren't labeled other than chuck roast. The only one I've read about with bones is called the "7 bone roast".

Last edited by 357; 09-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote