View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #44
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
This Just In!!
Mokapot Goes Main Stream
Thats a great price on the Brikka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I don't really know how important the "no soap" admonition really is. That could be more conventional wisdom which is just silly, like the "never let french press coffee sit or it'll go bitter" (it doesn't).

The chatter sez that there is some kind of metallic flavor with new aluminum pots that goes away after you use them for a while (and don't soap them clean). Theory is that coffee oils lingering in the upper pot seal the aluminum and protect coffee flavor. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. (shrug-shrug)

As for me, I rinse lower, filter and upper with hot water after use. If I can see any grunge hanging on after a hot rinse I'll wipe them "clean" with a paper towel. Oils remain? Sure.

If the upper pot or filter start to look grungy (not too often) or smell anything except good (not too often) then I wash the whole shooting match with hot water, soap and a soft dishcloth or sponge (nothing that would scratch or scour the metal finish). Oils remain? No, except inside the centerpost. Taste suddenly suffers? I think not.

Your sense of taste may say otherwise.
Dish soap MAY affect the taste because it leaves a residue and cuts the oils (basically it does what its supposed to do). At my shops we NEVER use dish soap on any of our coffee pots, or porta-filters. We use a coffee soap called PuroCaffe wich will not leave any residue and gets all the build up off with little or no scrubbing. We always re-season the portafilters by pulling a couple shots of espresso on each group first.

The moka pots do need seasoning... the more you use it the better it tastes (like a cast-iron skillet). I usually tell my customers buying mokas that they should brew and toss the first two or three pots of coffee.

That being said, my mother has used dish soap on her moka for years and years with no second thought. As Moo stated above dont use any abrasive cleansers (SOS, Softscrub, etc) on your mokapot.

You shouldnt put them in the dishwasher however.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote