View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #99
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris45set View Post
I am just across the river from Omaha in Western Iowa.
We do have at least one (maybe two) local commercial roasters, I think Pears and MJ Java both roast locally.
I have thought about contacting them to find out what days they actually roast and picking up some beans at that time.
I do like to support my local merchants...
Ah... hope you're not right downwind of the packing house and that all your dog-track trifectas are winners. (I used to know the neighborhood.)

I would encourage you to try the local roasters if it's convenient. You might have some jewels in Omaha or even Council Bluffs. You have to consider that, just because something is roasted locally, though, doesn't necessarily make it better than anything else. The local guy may have bad skills, blend poorly or just buy crappy beans. But! It won't take long to figure it out. It all comes out in the moka. Please let us know what you find.

FWIW, beans out of the roaster usually improve dramatically with at least 1-3 days of rest. Todays roast never drinks as well as yesterdays...