View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #17
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr Mike View Post
...I have found that just taking the time to learn to smoke flake in this manner makes the flake far more enjoyable. ... remember that flake tobacco can have more moisture than loose tobacco, so a flake from a new tin will most likely need to be allowed to dry before smoking.
I really botched my first few rounds with various flakes (and pressed cakes like Krumble Kake and Penzance in particular) and it scared me off for a while. I had no sense for the expansion that occurs with many flakes and ended up with very uneven burns and plugged bowls; as air blockage developed I would suck harder, try using the needle-tool to open up airflow and keep trying to relight - worn out tongue and overall bad experience. Very frustrating.

What Sr Mike says - take the time to figure it out. Great stuff out there in Flakeville. Fold it, break it, rub it out, whatever - just don't PACK it into a bowl - let it breath easy and then tamp (gently) if you must, to keep it burning evenly. What Sr Mike says about a sprinkle of crumbs atop is a key to getting an easy, even burn going with many flakes.

(And, speaking as a highly qualified Old Fart, I think from the foto that ted'pa is trying to smoke dried corned beef, but WTH. Whatever. Kids? Who can understand 'em?)