Old 05-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #1163
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Today was cut day. M survived. We lost 5 skaters from last years team and it was a very hard day. A very succesfull AA club in the area had a mass defection to our club. We had 1 kid from our team who is now going to boarding school and 1 who moved away before tryouts. So in all 7 new skaters to the team. This time of year is the absolute worse i felt so bad for 2 of the boys that my eyes got a little watery when I saw them getting pulled aside before the list was posted. Those boys had been on the team for 4 years. Having to tell your child I know hes your friend but at tryouts you have no friends on the other side just sucks. M smoked one of the kids who was cut a few times.

M has been playing a lot of baseball lately as well. Hes been on some tournament teams and its so different from hockey. Here in Cali there are so many travel ball teams and not making a team just means you make a different team. There is so much less stress with baseball. I had prepared M for the worst and told him he would be able to play more ball and we wouldnt be as broke. He was a ball of nerves all weekend and tried to mask his happiness when he found out.

Being a hockey parent is tough. On the flip side now that its bantams I get to worry about concussions. The 04 team had a kid who got 3 last year and cant play anymore. Hes done permanetly. Well theres always baseball.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote