View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #3952
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I LOVE this thread. I'm finally getting some work done on my UDS build. I bought some parts, drilled my intake holes on the bottom, did a high heat burn to remove paint/oil from it's previous occupation, and started putting my charcoal basket together.

Here's the inspiration for my design:
http://mancavemeals.net/the-uds/

However, I'm making a few mods. I'm cannibalizing some parts from a Weber knockoff 22.5" grill I've had for years, and from a tabletop charcoal grill. My basket will have the same 3" legs as his pictured here:

but they'll be bolted to an 18-19" ash pan made from the bottom of the tabletop grill. I'm hoping this way I won't have to flip the drum over to clean out ash after each use.

It's going to look something like this when completed

I loved his idea of piping the intake valves up to be easier to reach. Although I am a noob so I have no experience, it just looked/sounded like a good idea. It will have two cooking grates, about 7" apart. I read the bottom one needs to be at least 24" from the bottom of your charcoal basket. So, that's what I'm trying to achieve.

I still need to wire-wheel the remaining paint/rust off, paint, bolt ash-pan to basket, and more. I'll post some of my own pics soon.

That said, what kind of thermometer's I should get? I ask because I know there is a ton of experience in this thread. I can get inexpensive analog BBQ replacement ones that bolt through a hole in the drum but I'm not sure if the analog ones are accurate, and if so which ones. Also, I'm considering a remote digial meat thermometer. Any and all suggestions on thermometers and/or my build are welcome.