Old 10-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Corona Gordas - Tribute/Reviews/Comparison

The cg:4, which measures 5 5/8 inches by 46 ring, has balance as well as strength, with sweet leather, nuts and cocoa on the palate. The cigars are the brainchild of Dion Giolito.

MADE BY: Fernandez y Fernandez
FACTORY LOCATION: Honduras
WRAPPER: Nicaragua
BINDER: Nicaragua
FILLER: Nicaragua
Dion Giolito blended these cigars using tobacco from first generation Corojo '99 and Criollo '98 seeds. They are beautifully constructed, featuring a Cafe Colorado wrapper and a cuban style triple cap.

The entire line is as filled with hidden meanings as the cigars are filled with flavor.

Made at the Raices Cubanas factory in Honduras from 100% Nicaraguan tobacco.

(from CA & NHC)

Which one is it Fernandez or Raices Cubans in Honduras??? or it the same thing??

The Illusione cg:4 is referred to as the "white horse" by Dion. As we know it was rated very highly on CA, ok, who cares, here goes...

First, let me say I smoke these cigars, Illusione and specifically the cg:4, very frequently.

Beautiful reddish-dark brown (colorado?) wrapper, sharp clean cut.

This particular specimen didn't have the sweetness, sweet leather or burnt black cherry-like flavor other cg:4's have had. It was more cuban-eque with a balanced earthy, tobacco flavors. I definitely enjoyed the cigar and the change in it's flavor profile, but was expecting the same.

As with most in the Illusione line, this cigar starts with a strong flavour and develops into a more moderate flavor, and then builds again by the nub (this is where the classic Illusione sweet, charred cherry flavor returned).

The cigar's first third burned razor sharp, a little uneven in the middle for a short while, but evened out on it's own shortly there after.

I must say this specimen, was different also, in that it wasn't as complex, yet consistent and tasty.

Overall: out of 10
Flavor 8
Burn/Draw 9
Appearance 9
Construct 8
Value 10 (most CG's aren't cheap because they come from premium brands, and are smaller smokes, so this is relative)
Smoking Experience 8
Total Avg. 8.67