View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peeking down the pipe slope, about to jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
Since I haven't bought any new cigars in months due mostly to my cigar budget being cut back, er.. obliterated, I thought I'd check into the pipe side of the house to see if it was any less expensive, and unless I'm mistaken, it looks like it *can* be if I can withstand the slopeage.
Curly Cut - yes, it easily *can* be, depending on a few things. how much did you use to spend on cigars; how much are you looking to spend on pipes/tobacco?

1) Can somebody please give me a ballpark guestimate how many bowls I could expect to get out of 1oz of pipe tobacco, in a generic (legend?) sized cob pipe?
Curly Cut - in a cob?? i'd say 15-20 smokes. most cobs are about half the size, or smaller, of a regular sized briar pipe. if a 2 oz tin can get your 15-20 smokes, then a cob that's half the size should get the same amount of smokes from half the tobacco.

2) Are cob pipes standard enough I should be able to find a local b&m that carries them? It seems silly to get them online when they cost as much as the shipping does.
Curly Cut - eh, you should be able to, but not 100% on it. you can still find cobs at some department stores like Wal-Mart, even a place like Walgreens or CVS carries them.
i would buy them locally as well, then you get to eyeball them and not pay for shipping. you should be able to snag 2 of 'em for $10 or so, if not cheaper.

3) In your opinion, is it worth the investment to get a pipe lighter when starting out, or should I wait to make sure I enjoy the hobby first? (will matches or a bic suffice while I'm learning the ropes?)
Curly Cut - matches/bic will suffice, no need to spend $$ on a zippo or $100 on an Old Boy.

Thanks,
Kris
reply in the quote.
the key will be the tobacco you choose to smoke on whether or not you enjoy it (and if you get a decent cob).