Old 04-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #13
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Your cigar journey

Back in 2004 it was a very cold 21 degree day and I was on the golf course. At the turn, I was looking for anything to warm me up. So, I grabbed a cigar. Don't know what it was as it was unbanded. I was shocked at how good it tasted and it really did make me forget the cold. I had never smoked tobacco before and I was instantly interested in cigars.

Went around looking for shops and found a few good ones and a few cig stores that had small humidors. I was getting more into it and was looking for more info and happened across a forum of lowland gorillas in 2006 and they ALL seemed to be very nice and very forward with knowledge without any flame if you asked a dumb question. Refreshing, so I joined. Easily one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I was in radio, hence the name, at the same station for 13 years and on Jan. 1st 2008 I was told my position "is no longer available". On my way home, wondering what in the hell I was going to do, I stopped by the local b&m. The owner happened to be there. I casually asked if she needed any help and lo and behold, she said the guy at the counter was leaving in 2 weeks and I could have the job if I knew a little about tobacco and cigars. Well, with all the knowledge I gained at the old forum, I said I think I know a little and turns out I knew alot more than the owner of 30 years. I'm still there.

Later in 2008, the Asylum was born and I made the exodus with my international family. It wasn't long before I got a taste for Cuban cigars. What a whole new world that opened up! My first box was some '03 Fonseca KDT's. A whole 3 years of age and I was stoked and hooked in that world sliding down the slope at a very fast pace. Made some herf's and enjoyed the company I usually talk to online.

In the mid 2010's, I started to have physical health problems. Every cigar I smoked made me sick and alot of pipe tobacco's smell made me ill. Not good for somebody in the business. I ended up selling a nice collection of Cuban cigars minus a few that were very special, expensive and some gifted ones. I did pay off several credit card's but I wish I hadn't done it.

Don't know if it was related to numerous gall bladder issues I was having over several years but after they pulled that sucker out, I could smoke again. Was away from the forums for years but I'm very glad I made my way back to reconnect to some great people that I call friends, brothers/sisters and all other inmates. I usually don't smoke unless I'm at the shop. On a work day I'll have 3-5 during the day. Starting over from scratch with the knowledge gained over the years make things much easier and as they say....the journey continues............