View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #1039
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
While on vacation I got a bottle of the Basil Hayden as well. I must say, it is a disappointment. I don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't real good neat, not as good as a number of others I enjoy. When a few ice cubes melted in it, it was decent.

It won't be something I will purchase again.

I personally can mix any cheaper whiskey with ginger ale, 7-up, etc... and it really doesn't much matter, to do so with a more expensive libation seems a waste. And if that particular liquor isn't any good unless mixed, then what's the point.

(maybe my taste buds are not refined enough, or are too battered for what libation is poured into a mix, as if it really makes a difference)

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I personally don't mix bourbon with anything except an occasional ice cube, so to ask the question of if it's not good mixed, what's the point will likely get many answers like mine.

A majority of the bourbons being talked about in this thread are drank neat, or with a cube or two. I agree with part of your statement, if your going to mix it with ginger ale or 7-Up, then yes, do not buy the more expensive bourbons.

As far as not liking it neat, no problem with that at all. Different strokes for different folks. I don't mind Basil Hayden, but it's definitely not at the top of my list, even in the lower priced category.

Nice thing with bourbon is that there are plenty to choose from, many of which are good and not terribly expensive at that.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote