View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
morefifemusic

Default Re: New Pipe Hobby (Pic Heavy)

Great looking pipes mate!

I recently started getting in to pipe making myself. I scored a great deal on a variable speed grinder for sanding and buffing and my parents are giving me a wood lathe that belonged to my departed grandpa. WTB drill press!

I have a small poker to be buffed right now and I am working on a volcano that is going along nicely. Of yours, I think I like the Churchwarden and the fan the best. The chruchwarden looks like a heavy SOB though.

For those who were asking, here is some great info to get you started.

PIMO - Good resource for briar as well as pipe making supplies and a pipe crafting book.

Pipedia - The pages on pipe making have all kinds of great info.

Penguin Briar - My preferred briar supplier for kits. Great communication and you can order the kit drilled based on what pipe you want to make. Best price/quality ratio I could find.

Pipe Makers' Forum - Lots of good information and a great place to post your pipes for critique. Be forewarned, they are honest but VERY picky. A good deal of very reputable pipe crafters frequent the board (such as Rad Davis).

Pipe Shape Chart - Good reference for getting an idea of what kind of pipe you want to make.

Hope that info helps point in the right direction.

-Tyler