View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
badbriar

Default San Lotano Maduro

First, this is NOT a review for the Oval Maduro. This maduro is a nice looking stick at a good price point for the quality you get in a cigar. Construction is very good - a bit on the toothy, rustic side. The box press looks and feels a bit odd (almost feminine, but that's just me enjoying the curves) at first, but you soon forget about that and enjoy when things move forward. Cut and draw were flawless; nice & slightly loose. Cold draw was definitely tasty expresso/chocolate/deep tobacco. Superb start! Toasting took a little while with a single flame torch with such deep, oily stick. Initial half inch or so was a bit harsh and rough...gotta tame this beast. Shortly, things settled in and was thereafter smooth as a sweet lassies behind. Ooohhh, man...coffee, leather, chocolate, slightly sweet tobacco, earthy ... All at once!!! Nirvana, baby!
Things progressed like this throughout. As for the burn, I did have to correct a few times when things went wonky and had to re-light once. Did not mind at all, as it was interesting that right after a re-light, the flavor was more intense. For you pipe smokers, this is like the DGT (delayed gratification technique). Took this one to about 1.5 " then it was kinda warm. Highly recommended - this is one I stock in the wineador regularly. Eventually, I'll get around to try ANC compare the Oval Maduro. For the cost difference, I can't imagine the Oval is that much better. We'll see.
As usual, please excuse my poor typing skills. It's a ***** typing on the iPad, but I love this thing...actually it's best point is that blind farts can enlarge the type real easy when the need arises! Keep 'me toasting...
RR