Thread: That was close.
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default That was close.

Back story: I drive a Lincoln LS. Notorious for coil-on-plug failures. Anyways, the car starts misfiring something terrible a couple days ago, and I think it's just another coil or 2 on the way out. I figured I'd drive it until the check engine light comes on, so it would tell me which cylinder is misfiring, thus making it really easy to find the right one to change. I stop at the gas station for something to drink, and when I get out, the damn car almost sounds like a diesel with a knock! I pop the hood, and hear it coming from the front drivers side of the engine, right where the timing chains are located. Awesome.

Drove it straight to my mechanic, and let him know my diagnosis. I also ordered a new secondary timing chain tensioner (a somewhat common problem with higher mileage cars of the same year/model) and a new valve cover gasket set, just to be safe.

Picked up parts this morning to the tune of $200. Can't believe a little spring loaded piece made out of PLASTIC and a damn gasket set could be $200, but that's neither here not there. Cheaper than a car payment (just got the car paid off last month).

My mechanic called me once he had it torn down. The old tensioner almost fell apart in his hands while he was removing it. I was within a mile or 2 from jumping time. The engine is an interference engine, meaning valves hit heads if it jumps time.

Escaped by the skin of my teeth! $630 out the door, and she's back on the road. Damn close call!

Now, out for a smoke
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote