Thread: Starter pipe
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Starter pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by morefifemusic View Post
Cob is also nice because it does not ghost like a briar will. Smoking different kinds of baccy in a briar (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, etc.) will lead to ghosting of flavors. The pipe may end up mucking up the baccy taste.

Not an issue when you have enough pipes to dedicate to different tobacco types, but it can be an issue when starting out.

I always have a couple of cobs for trying new baccys.

Cost is also an advantage. Sucks to buy a $75 briar and find you don't like pipe smoking.

Hope that helps.

-Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Kirk, I think the corncob is for reason of cost and efficiency. I mean $5 a pipe and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Also it's a good starter pipe to learn how much to fill and how to keep it lit with less maintenance of the more popular brands.

Like they said it is 1) very cost effective, 2) very good to learn how to fill and light (you wont feel that bad scorching it) 3) it wont ghost. I always recommend pipes for starters.

Happy Piping!

Edit: I for got to mention that they are generally good smokers; to be honest, I've been smoking my cobb more than my briars becuase of how it smokes.