View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
dogface_313

Default Re: I'm a college student considering the military

Wyatt,
I was in the same position you were at one point. I almost joined out of high school, shortly after 9/11. Parents talked me into doing a couple of years of college. Next thing I knew I was studying Mechanical Engineering, and i just didn't see myself sitting in front of a computer every day. I went to the ROTC office and they really helped me out and were very up front. They are not really recruiters and for the most part will be very honest. They told me in today's Military, you will most likely deploy no matter what branch of service.
I had a very simlar situation as the above poster. I got a 4 year scholarship(graduated with a Mech Engin degree with no loans), commissioned in 08, went through all my schooling and I am now a Field Artillery LT (allthough I am an XO for a light Infantry unit). I have yet to deploy, but am in the process of preparing, and to this day I do not have a regret. I always say that I have the best job in the world, I get paid to do things most people pay big bucks to do.

I am willing to answer any questions you have. I actually went to school in MA as well, umass amherst.

Ryan