View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #32
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fathers Day ~ 1st time Smoking

NOTHING is a steal anymore. I wish I was kidding, but meat of every kind is out of control. I remember when
NO ONE would touch a chicken wing, it was like a giblet or something. You could buy 24 wings in a family
pack for about 3 bucks. Now the chicken wing is like filet mignon or something. And POARK? Don't get
me started on that (misspelled intentionally due to En Ess Ay filtering) The other white meat is so high now
that when it's time for a SALE, its still pricey. Beef has never been cheap. So I think you have to go by
what the store calls a sale. Now that you will be cruising the meat rack every Friday, you will see what
'normal' prices are and start watching the sales sheets.

It seems like what you are needing is what it took me 4 years to finally buy. I thought ten bucks was too much, lol.
You need a chimney starter. Start off your replenishment coals in it and tong them into the smoker when you
see a slight temp drop coming on. With that unit I would say that every 100 minutes or so you are going to
have to be adding coals. But I say that like I KNOW....I don't, lol. There are people here that mix burning coals and
unburned coals all the time, something they call the minion method, but I don't like the gasses that come from
unlit charcoal on top of lit coal. The smoke and gas are worse with a fresh start of coals, but I don't like
the smell of it, and don't want it near my meat. But that's because I use indirect smoking in the same unit
as my meat. I think it might be fine for people that have fireboxes, though. I am just handicapped by my cooker...

see attached pic................meat on one side, smoke on the other...fresh coals would be a prob.

BTW, chicken on the BOTTOM, dude....dripping juices are the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XXXX.jpg (60.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg mothers day ribs1.jpg (117.7 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by OLS; 06-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote