View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Mutombo

Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
We move into the backend of the Top 25 with a name normally seen much closer to the roof:

# 16 - Arizona = This sounds about right to me, with 'Zona being a Sweet Sixteen come March. If I remember correctly, the Desert 'Cats did a lot better last year than was expected, so they might even move up. This can occur with a team that's been there before, and though I don't much care for the program I am glad to see SOME Pac-47 teams get some respect. Speaking of which:

# 17 - UCLA = Remember these guys? I've been told they used to win a game or three from time to time. In a way, it's good to see them get at least partway back. In another way, I'm not so pleased. See, the joke around my alma mater is that the Blue-and-Gold is Carolina Lite, what with the Wear twins getting back on the court this year, and He-Whose-Name-Will-Not-Be-Mentioned maybe playing for the Bruins next year . . . MAYBE, if he plays well enough to get off the bench, and if he doesn't go crying home to Mommie once again. As with those other fuzzy creatures above, the Badgers, I can see UCLA competing in conference, though maybe not outside of it. And maybe not even that, when you consider that they have NO HOME GAMES this year: Pauley is closed for renovations, and not only will John Wooden not be in the stands, his name won't be on the court as well.

That's about all I can handle for one day, and I wanna go out and have a short smoke before the sun goes down. Pipe up and pipe in, brothers, and I'll be back later.
Huge UCLA fan here...

Funny seeing your take on the UNC transfers to the Bruins. I think most fans view taking Drew II as a mixed bag...his attitude problems are well documented (as well as his overbearing mother), but so far the Wears are getting pretty good reviews. David looks to be playing a lot of time at the 3 this year since our frontcourt is so loaded, the major question is whether or not he can guard the position. And Howland absolutely LOVES the Wears.

The game plan is going to be simple this year...feed the bigs. Josh Smith looks about the same weight as last year, which isn't good since he's probably at least 50 lbs over where he should be. However, even at 365 lbs (or whatever he is) I don't think there are many players in the country that can stop him if he can stay out of foul trouble. He went for 26 pts (on 14 of 18 free throw shooting) in our first exhibition win over the weekend.

Regarding Arizona...I think they are going to miss Derrick Williams A LOT. I've seen both their exhibitions and the opener against Valpo..they really don't have a guy outside of the freshman Nick Johnson who seems like he wants the ball in his hands. I see them losing a lot of games early but getting better by the end of the season as the freshmen gain more experience. Keep in mind, they've already lost to Division 2 Seattle Pacific in their opening exhibition game.

I think Cal or Washington will be challenging UCLA for the Pac 12 title this year, not Arizona.

Good thread, I'll definitely be following.