View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

We move into the backend of the Top 25 with a name normally seen much closer to the roof:

# 13 - Kansas = The Jayhawks have been bitten heavily of late by early withdrawals, and they've also had personal personnel problems to deal with too. Already a pair of players have been shut down for their first two exhibition games. Those are of course meaningless, but it's not a good sign. I feel confident Bill Self will do his best with what he has, and we'll see if they move up, or crash.

# 14 -Xavier = I have a lot of respect for the Musketeer program, and for the A-10 at large. They have a few good guards, and a few transfers from other schools to give them depth and experience. But to be among the top 15? With a suspension for their center Frease, and star guard Holloway sitting out their opener for a "violation"? In a league with Temple, Richmond, Duquesne, GW, RIU, St. Bonnies, UMass, La Salle, and Sts. Louis oad Joe's? Plus non-conference foes Georgia, Vandy, Purdue, Butler, Cincy, Zags, and Memphis on their plate? Hey, if they stay where they are in the polls, they with EARN it!

# 15 - Wisconsin = The Badgers will coast . . . well, plod, actually . . . through their first few weeks of cupcakes, but will get an early quiz when they visit Chapel Hill 11/30. Were I Bo Ryan, I might let PG Jordan Taylor wear sneakers for that one, but everybody else should be in Wolverines: If they try to run with the Heels, the game's already over. I can see the boys from Madison competing for the Big Seventy-Eight regular season witn OSU, the Michigan schools, and maybe Purdue, but I'll believe they'll be a national contender when it happens.

# 16 - Arizona = This sounds about right to me, with 'Zona being a Sweet Sixteen come March. If I remember correctly, the Desert 'Cats did a lot better last year than was expected, so they might even move up. This can occur with a team that's been there before, and though I don't much care for the program I am glad to see SOME Pac-47 teams get some respect. Speaking of which:

# 17 - UCLA = Remember these guys? I've been told they used to win a game or three from time to time. In a way, it's good to see them get at least partway back. In another way, I'm not so pleased. See, the joke around my alma mater is that the Blue-and-Gold is Carolina Lite, what with the Wear twins getting back on the court this year, and He-Whose-Name-Will-Not-Be-Mentioned maybe playing for the Bruins next year . . . MAYBE, if he plays well enough to get off the bench, and if he doesn't go crying home to Mommie once again. As with those other fuzzy creatures above, the Badgers, I can see UCLA competing in conference, though maybe not outside of it. And maybe not even that, when you consider that they have NO HOME GAMES this year: Pauley is closed for renovations, and not only will John Wooden not be in the stands, his name won't be on the court as well.

# 18 - Michigan = These guys started off like crap last year, and turned it around to get up as high as decent. To tell you the truth, I don't know which team will show up this season, and I'm not sure anybody will until the dust clears next spring. The Logans haven't scheduled much out-of-conference (Memphis, UVA, Bradley being the only potential non-pastry squads), so we may not know much at all until league play is well under way. For some reason, I see them going down instead of moving up, but as I said, who knows?

That's about all I can handle for one day, and I wanna go out and have a short smoke before the sun goes down. Pipe up and pipe in, brothers, and I'll be back later.