View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #347
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
That looks good, its a bit redish mine was charred black. I tasted it and it was not good. I know what I did wrong, I put WAY too much on. There were spots that were not thick and that part tasted great!
I used to use a good bit of brown sugar in my rubs and I did have to really watch the temps. For my butt rub I have totally cut out the brown sugar and now use turbinado sugar. I pretty much put the rub on and then coat the butt with the turbinado. It has a much higher burn point and I have been really happy with the results. It gives a killer bark without any off taste.

If it was black and bitter though there is a good chance it was creosote which is simply from too much white smoke. I rarely have ever gotten "burn" from sugar, but I sure have put too much dirty smoke on meat and gotten some bitter results!!!