Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oven roasted Boston Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Lots of great suggestions, guys! I believe my-older-brother-from-another-mother, Cliff, has hit on something. I do believe I'll smoke them both this Sunday and freeze them to reheat on our trip. I'll wrap them good and reheat in the oven until the inner temp comes back up. The best of both worlds.
Just seal them up good in foil (or in a pan with foil sealed around it) and reheat in the oven. If you are reheating from a frozen state, I'd say heat on a lower temp, and you probably don't need the moisture of a Pepsi inside the foil. I only do that when I put them in the oven fresh off the grill. I usually cook extra butt(s) when I fire up the smoker, and pull one or more apart (while hot) into larger chunks (usually where the butt normally separates into muscle groups). I then freeze the chunks in smaller bags for later use when it's just my wife and I. That way, I don't have to thaw out a whole butt for bbq for only two people. One advantage of this for your situation might be that you can pull the fat and grease off the butt easier while it's hot (or warm), and you can also thaw out in smaller packets as you assess the needs.

I usually shred the meat once it's thawed, and steam it to the heated state I desire by using a heated griddle and pouring water as needed into the meat to steam (keeping it turned, and regulating heat so I'm not cooking the meat again. I'm a stickler for NOT heating meat with sauce in the meat, so I usually heat my sauce separately and spoon it over the meat as the eater request.

Enjoy some burnt-ends off the meat as you go. We all know how important quality control testing is for a Grillmaster!