Thread: On Memorial Day
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: On Memorial Day

Thank you for the post Mark. It was one hell of a bloody war as most. Not only should we remember that period, and the period before which established our great Country, but the men and women who gave their lives in battles that followed thereafter.

I have a good friend named George, a mentor of mine in investigations, who was a Navy Corpsman during the Vietnam era. He had spent about a month getting it together over there and was attached to a small group of Marines. They were transported by chopper, and unfortunately, had to land in a hot LZ. George had no sooner jumped from the chopper and had taken a few steps, when a round struck him and had fortunately made a clean exit. He was medivac from that location, and spent a few months healing.

When the doctor cleared him, he was attached once again with another small group of Marines. This lasted a very short time as he was once again struck by a round which made a clean exit.

They gave George an Honorable discharge from the Navy following his second Purple Heart and a free ride home from Vietnam.

To this day, I shoot George an email and/or call him (mainly to hear him sob) to thank him for his service to our Country. Thereafter, I usually attend the Memorial Day Service at Eternal Valley Memorial Park in Newhall.

So, on this Memorial Day, remember to thank a Vet for their service. They will greatly appreciate those words