View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about
Default Let's talk balls....GOLF balls

We've got such a large membership here of golfers, we should have a pretty diverse opinion on golf balls.

Now, I do like the Pro-V1's. Great confidence in them and they are terrific around the green. I don't have an absurdly high swing speed (112mph driver) so I'm probably not getting full advantage of these balls, but I still play well with them.

My other favorite (even over a Pro-V1) is the Callaway HX Tour when I can find them. I've played the new Callaway Tour-ix and don't see much difference.

I hate spending the $$ on these things though. There is one hole on my course, a long par 5 with OB left into a big weedy field. This is rattlesnake time around here so nobody really goes out looking for a lost ball and I can usually find at least 6-8 premium balls out there. My bag pockets are stuffed with lightly used pro-v's right now. lol.

Now, a little bit further down the ladder is the Titleist NXT, and NXT-Tour. Both of these are excellent balls I think. Not quite as soft off the putter, but still excellent performers.

One round, I ran across a brand new Top Flight XL Straight. Tee'd it up and shot 5 over on the front nine with it (good for me). So I ask myself, why do I prefer these high priced gems over the top rock that I just shot a 40 with? I have no answer to that, other than confidence over the ball knowing I can get it to stop reasonably close to where I want on the green.

What are your favorites?
GolfNut is offline   Reply With Quote