Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WTF Corncob? Why U Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
While I am a lover of cobs, funny tastes from new briars are to be expected. that's the breaking in process. Once you've built a little cake, that will go away. IMO there's room in a pipesmoker's life for cobs, briars and meerschaums. You'll find various tobaccos that shine in each. And if you're really lucky, you'll find a briar that will smoke one of your favorite blends like they were meant for each other. THAT is a great moment.
This, it takes a while for briar pipes to break in new. I have a really expensive Sav that took a year to break in but is probably my best smoker now. Likewise, although briar quality to price experiences diminishing returns rather quickly, ducas tend to be on the lower end of Sav.

I don't smoke with the balsa wood inserts, they dont help keep things dry and don't let the cleaner pass.

If you end up liking cobs more than briars stick with cobs. Some people are more sensitive to the taste of burning corn. Likewise, try a meer, it's got cob qualities along with the weird fascination of trying to color them.