View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #43
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mother kills intruder with shot gun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
We are a very gun friendly state. Still, it could be a huge headache that probably isn't worth the hassle for me if I could reasonably get away.

This is especially true if the perp is not even inside my home. Why should I take a risk of shooting at them when I could get away. Why put my neighbors at risk? Ive never had to shoot at someone under pressure. Might be that i could avoid civil litigation, but I most certainly face both criminal AND civil litigation if i somehow shot any if rhe children who live next door on either side of my home and across the street. This is just my own personal opinion on what I would do. I respect thy others may feel differently and have varying degrees of the amount of risk they are willing to take. But there IS some risk involved whenever the choice is made to shoot a gun in a populated area. Its up to the individual to decide if it is really worth it.
I totally understand your opinion on this. If I may play devil's advocate here, though, say you escape, make it to a neighbor's house, and call 911. The scumbag breaks in, finds no one is home, and goes to the next house where Mr. and Mrs. Smith and the 3 little Smithettes are sleeping. He breaks in, and manages to kill all 5 Smiths before the police get there. I know there would be remorse for the family, but would you think, "If I had shot his sorry carcass when he was on my property, the Smiths would still be alive"?

Texas castle doctrine includes the house and property, and any other real property under your control.

As for the lawsuit, check with your insurance company. see if they can add self-defense coverage to your homeowner's policy. State Farm can. IIRC, it's something like $100,000 coverage in case you get sued. I'll have to go back and check.