View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #2277
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
[b]Nice flower shots Brad. Since the light levels were low, maybe a smidge of flash on the daffodil?
In a real life scenario, yes, it would be appropriate. In that case, as with the others, I was
really just shooting to test the lens. The D100 body tends to crush the blacks which is a nice
effect if you want it, but could be considered a con or a defect in design when looked at critically.
As a pro flower shot, you likely would not want it to be that dark overall.

This is also the problem I have with the 1st generation DSLRs from Nikon. The LCDs are SO SMALL
as to be useless in outdoor light for really being able to critically view your shot and make
adjustments. So while my excuse is 'it was just a photowalk lens test', my dilemma remains
going forward. But my main body, the D70 is a little smarter. You can see the two days' results,
the first day with the D70, the same basic shots are better overall in terms of light balance.

A further dilemma is the whole concept of fill-flash. I am not steeped in the photographic tradition.
I have been shooting with SLRs since the mid-70s. But that was just the START. I dropped it
as soon as my mirror assembly quit working about 1981. And I never was a good technique photog.
The concept of fill flash was yet to be learned when I stopped shooting. Then in the mid 80s,
I became a shooter by profession, video-wise. But when I began shooting stills again, I picked up
a point and shoot. My composition and technique are solid, but my fundamentals are weak.
I do not THINK about a shot in technical terms. I have a tool, an adjustable output flash, and I get
so caught up in shooting the shot that I forget to raise the flash in appropriate, non-low-light sitchos.
Same as I told Salvelinus about the circular polarizer....don't FORGET its THERE!

Last edited by OLS; 04-12-2013 at 06:17 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote