Thread: Scotch Q&A
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #178
kayaker

Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Anyone have any opinions on the Macallan 18yr old?? I was able to try some over New Years, and it was awful The price is high and I'd be very disappointed if I had to pay for a whole bottle. The oaky taste was way too over powering and not very smooth for an 18 year old.

I'd much rather have Glenlivet 12 or 18 yr old, Dalwhinnie or Belvinie. Those are my favorites right now. Any other suggestions?
None of the Macs are cheap compared to scotches of similar age. Did you have the Fine Oak or the regular version of it? Regular version is aged only in Sherry casks, and the Fine Oak uses Sherry and Bourbon Casks. It's been a while since I've had the regular, but I remember it as being quite good. The Fine Oak 18 was very smooth, but a bit underwhelming for my tastes.

It could have been an off bottle, or you just may not like that style. Try one of the younger versions and see what that's like. You should be able to buy a dram at a decent bar.

I found the Balvenie somewhat similar in style to the Macallan. Glenkintchie, Glen Ord, Arran Island are also quite nice. Actually there are lots of great whiskies. The best part is getting to sample lots and lots to find out what you like.

If you find there's something you don't really like, try it again a year later to see if your tastes have changed. Mine have over the last few years. Your mood and what you've eaten recently can also affect the taste of your dram.

Hope this helps.