Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #47
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (6)
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I'm done with FOX.

I am deeply offended by not just this particular episode, but the more deeply rooted stereotypes and ignorances that are the real reason that they said these things in the first place. While I don't want to appear hypocritical (and in no way am I trying to accuse any BOTL here), in my experiences, the "worldlyness" of most citizens of the USA is below that of most other countries. Why is that? They don't have to be because they are as powerful as they are. However, the ignorance of Canada (or any other country for that manner) bites them once in a while like this particular show.

I have no idea who these 5 people are. I have never heard of them, except I recall the "comedian" was on Last Comic Standing in the past, I guess that makes him an expert in international affairs. They clearly show that they have no idea of this country, and they are no better than the people you see driving across the border in July with skis strapped to their cars looking for the ski hills!

The sad thing is, we really can't do anything about it. A "boycott" of Fox or it's advertisers would not be effective because technically, the Canadian audience is not part of their demographic and our dollars are not a factor. I don't watch any Fox shows anyways, there is nothing there worth watching (cartoons? give me a break).

I get sick and tired of watching the sterotypes of this country portrayed on US-based TV.

This country has a long history of participation in international military actions. We were participants in the Boer War and then both World Wars - way before the US in both cases I may add - Korea, the first Gulf war and lately Afghanistan. How many Americans know about the Canadians that enlisted, fought and died in the 1960's and 1970's in Vietnam? We invented the PeaceKeeping arm of the UN and spent many years doing just that. We are a country of less than 30 million people. At the end of WW II, we had the 4th largest navy in the world. We do not shy away from a fight - as long as it's justified!

The more I think about these jerks on Fox the angrier I get. I would suggest to anyone to pick up a book on Canadian history, I think you would be surprised at what you read.