View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #1666
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Well, I'm officially in over my head
Just ordered this lens, I rented one a few months ago and loved it.

Lens by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Oh man, have fun! That is one of my favorite lenses! I find that at weddings about 2/3 of my shots end up being from that lens, it simply never leaves one of my cameras!

Only problem I've had with mine is that its gotten loose with age, pointing the camera downwards will extend the lens on its own... annoying at times... but I couldn't be happier with the lens and would buy another in a heartbeat.

(using a on 5D btw, so its plenty wide enough... can't get used to it on a cropped sensor.. usually end up using a 17-35 on that camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
not even close Justin. I rented one and saw the difference better glass can make. I cringe like crazy spending more for the lens than I did for my camera.
But I compare it to going from a point and shoot and a DSLR, the pictures come out so much better. This will be the only L lens I buy, unless I start getting paid for what I do and there is no plan for doing that, besides, I'm no where near good enough.

I should mention also that it is a refurbished lens from Canon. I can't see spending retail on a lens that has been fully checked, with the refurb, they fix what was broken and fully test the lens before reselling it. Granted the warranty is only 90 days, but if it's been fully inspected, I see no reason for failures anytime soon.
You would be shocked and amazed at how many people will pay good money for work that we would consider to be "sub-par" ..... Do understand that I am by no means advocating lazy and crappy pictures!!! We should always strive to do the best we can... but don't let self doubt sell yourself short because other people are better.... there will ALWAYS be someone better! I've been there, I've gotten caught up looking at other people's breathtakingly amazing work that's just out of my league... and I lose sight of the fact that I can take a good pic too! Remember, there's always someone worse than you too.... AND they're getting paid! Always be honest about what you can do for someone, have plenty of examples of your work, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.