View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #97
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

OK, my internet connection seems to be working better today, so let's play a little catchup.

On Tuesday:

# 15 Georgetown 72 - # 22 Butler 65 = So far, Butler has lost to every ranked team they have played. This one to the Hoyas might have finally knocked them off the radar, but if they can't beat Ohio State on Saturday that certainly shall.

# 23 Texas Tech 80 - TCU 70 = I rarely put much stock, one way or the other, in "close" contests between instate rivals. Tech got the win, but I'm unsure if it means anything save bragging rights to either squad.

Last night:

It has not been my practice to report on total @$$whuppin's in Goliath/David games, yet as I've already p!$$ed Jeff off , I'll give him:

# 1 Kansas 99 - Radford 64 = No doubt everyone in Phog Allen Fieldhouse was sorely disappointed that the Jayhawks did not hit the century mark. Other than that, the game was meaningless.

Also:
# 3 Villanova 97 - St. Joseph's 89 = See my TT/TCU comment above - the same logic applies here.

# 4 Kentucky 64 - U. Conn 61 = This makes the 4th bullet that the Wildcats have dodged, and the season's barely gotten going yet. You think Calipari's aged much lately? Heavy lies the head crowned the most overpaid in NCAA history.

Wisconsin Green Bay 88 - # 20 Wisconsin 84 (OT) = The Big Ten can console itself by noting that, no matter how soft and creamy its center is, it has more texture than the Pac-10 does.

Another score of interest to me was:

St. John's 66 - Georgia 56 = Except for a fairly close loss to Duke (in Cameron, no less) the Redman (sorry, I refuse to call them the Red freakin' Storm), St. John's has won every game so far. Many of you young whippersnappers may not remember when they were a perennial power in college basketball, yet the possibility that they may be one again intrigues old farts like me. That has yet to be demonstrated, but it is a situation worthy of attention until more evidence is uncovered. BTW, I know precisely the reason why they fell off the map for so long, and if anyone is interested I will tell you.

Tonight's games include:

# 7 Syracuse vs. # 10 Florida = On paper, this is a good game. However, it is played on hardwood, and though paper is made of wood it is not itself wood.

# 12 Michigan State vs. Oakland = On paper, this is no game at all.

# 19 Cincinnati vs. Miami (OH) = Of the spate of instate matchups we've seen lately, this may be the least interesting.

Enjoy.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote