Thread: Elmendorf AFB
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation
Default Re: Elmendorf AFB

my brother flew F-15's there and my sister was a flight nurse there as well. Stayed with my bro for a couple weeks one summer and I have done multiple exercises out of there. It's beautiful in the winter - in its own way. But you are lucky to be going in the summer. If you want cold - try Eileson in January. That is the coldest I've ever seen, I think it was average about -20 for the time I was there. Down around Anchorage get out as much as you can. In a word it is stunning. Truly seems to go on forever. I have flown in there more times than I can remember and each time I do it is like I have never seen it before. It is that overwhelming and stunning when you fly in.

Get out and catch some fish. See what salmon are running while you are there. Go out and catch some Halibut and try the Salmon Shark. I'm not big on shark. Mako's OK, but salmon shark is excellent, IMO. Favorite restaurant is: http://www.simonandseaforts.com/. It's a little pricey, but everything is up there. Get the Halibut cheeks if they're on the menu. If you just want to bring some fish back for the family go to 10th and M seafood. They'll get it packed up for you on dry ice. Or better prices at Costco and pack it yourself.

They've got the best on base outdoor rec store I've ever seen. If you are into anything outdoors, especially guns, you can pick up some great deals right on base.

Enjoy it!

Last edited by billybarue; 02-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.
billybarue is offline   Reply With Quote