View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
thesmokeypint

Default Victory Wild Devil: Review

Contributor Justin Rigoni takes on Victory Wild Devil!

Reviewed this [week, month, whatever] is Victory’s Wild Devil ale, an even more nefarious twist on their already dangerously hoppy Hop Devil IPA. The only discernable difference with this variation is the introduction of Brettanomyces yeast, a naturally occurring bacteria that imparts the brew with a crisp tartness and shameless sense of attitude. Brettanomyces is the star player in the notoriously idiosyncratic palates of Belgian Gueze and Lambic beers, amongst others. I hope this selection will live up to my lip-puckering expectations, or else be cast back into the fire from whence it came. Errrr, or just the trash bin, I guess.

I found this seedy-looking character in my local store’s selection, bottled in June of 2009. Apparently, a couple of years in the bottle can be a gamble for these IPA/Wild Ale hybrids, but I gave it a try anyway. The floral Beelzebub on the label beckoned to the mischief in me, and dared the other libations in my cart to make room. Of course, I gave in to sinfulness. A little gluttony never hurt, right?

View the full article:http://thesmokeypint.com/2011/05/26/...-devil-review/