View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: Need Rum Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersong View Post
I generally mix my rum with coke...with this in mind, I stay away from really high end sipping rums, but I have some suggestions for you that are very nice and reasonably priced.

El Dorado 8 & 12 (15 yr or 21 yr for sipping)
Flor de Cana 5 (this is great Nicaraguan Rum with coke and lime...and many Nica cigars)

I'm interested in buying my first bottle of single malt over the holidays. Maybe you can help me here...I've read a lot, and it seems the Highland Park 12 is a decent beginner choice. Any other suggestions?

Cheers!
Greg - for single malts - start gentle. Speysides are generally more "accessible" (Glenfiddich being the entry level sample, but Glendronach a much nicer example).

Highland Park is really fine whiskey. Personally I like the 18 year old version, which has a distinct heather/floral note to it. Macallan is also easy to get into, as it is usually sherry-esque and is fantastic with Cuban cigars.

Leave Islay's peated monsters for later. These are IMHO the best in scotch to pair with cigars and oysters, but are not easy as a starting point.

Follow the "dew on the rose" principle. Try the malt straight up - no ice anywhere near the glass* - after trying it neat, add the tiniest bit of water (dew on the rose) - which will bring out the more delicate aromas.

(*Chilling the scotch will make the esters precipitate, and you lose half the aroma.)

It is 8:00am and I'm thirsty......