Old 09-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Remembering 9/11 - 20 years later - your story

9/11 was the first day of school at a new alternative school where all the kids who were expelled from the other high schools in the district were sent. I signed up to be there for security on overtime that first day.

I was listening to Howard Stern on the way to work.
He was talking about a plane that it hit the World Trade Center as I navigated traffic. When he said a second plane had hit the second Tower, I thought “bullshit” and turned on news radio. Unfortunately, it was not bullshit.

The principal immediately sent all the kids home. He asked if the secretary and I could both stay the full day anyway. He went out to Best Buy and bought a TV for the school. He was back and set up in time for us to watch both Towers collapse.

One of the eeriest things for me was driving to work the next afternoon. My route takes me through several landing routes for O’Hare Airport. Not a cloud in the sky.. and not a plane in the sky. I think I wondered if anything would ever be the same.
As I got out of my truck to walk into the police station, a military jet blasted by and caused a sonic boom. I was impressed that I didn’t crap my pants.

I will never, ever forget.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote