View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #113
Jokermann

Default Re: Has anyone seen this Cohiba? Cohiba 40 Aniversario 1966-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post

Let's make it easy, SHOW me a Cohiba box with date stamp prior to '80s.
Boxes from Cuba did not have box codes until 1984/85.

Arguing that Cohibas from the 1960s/70s were not production cigars is absurd! These cigars were PRODUCED as diplomatic gifts. Just because they were not available to the general population, does not mean they were not production cigars. They were made in the same factory as many other cigars, and clearly were not prototypes or anything like that. Since these early Cohibas were produced in massive quantities, they are 100% a production cigar, and the dates of the brands beginning are valid.

While I dont have a picture of a box from that time frame, here is a picture of a 1970 Cohiba Lancero. (bad cell phone pic, sorry)

The notable difference between this cigar and the Lanceros released in the 80s was the band was a little different. The yellow area at the bottom was smaller and has a different yellow color (more of a bright yellow, than the 80s dull yellow). I dont know for sure, but I think they changed the band just a little to let the "insiders" tell the difference between the cigars produced for diplomatic gifts, and the cigars for the rest of us.