View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question for you Computer Guru's out there

OK folks that KNOW, i have an issue. I have a MICRO-ATX mainboard I just installed.
INITIALLY I also bought an ATX 600w power supply to mount into the new case.
Through my ignorance, I saw a power connector with only 20 pins that had to go into a 24 pin power plug.
I NOW KNOW why I was stupid to go back to TigerDirect and buy a SECOND power supply that was actually
listed as a MICRO-ATX power supply. The only one they sold was a 300w power supply and I bought it.

Plain and simple, if you know what you are doing, you place TWO jacks side by side to make 24 pins and bammo,
you move on. I always just had the one jack to plug into the motherboard. That was new for me.

But the damage was done, I ordered a MICRO ATX 300w supply and got it in today and IT ALSO has only the 20 pin
connector. This led me to the moment of doofus discovery that told me, DERH, you place the two connectors together
and it works.... I could have saved the trouble and just installed the 600w ATX supply on Monday night and been done
HAD I KNOWN all that.

Here is the question. Is that Micro ATX motherboard topped out at 300w for a reason? I have it in the case now,
powering the mother board with no problems.

IF I WAS TO INSTALL that 600w power supply like I intend to, will I damage the board in some way?
I am going to be running Sony Vegas Video editing software on it and that will work the machine pretty
hard during rendering and playback of video. But in the end, all I am plugging into the board is a 500G
Hard Drive and a DVD burner. I am not POWERING all that much at all. It seems the 300w supply is fine
and technically, is sold as a MICRO ATX power supply. Do I want to install the 600watt unit or is that a bad idea?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote