View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Well, since nobody else seems to want to step up and start this, I guess I shall. Yeah, I know a lot of you don't pay any attention to it until March, but there has to be a few fanatics like me out there. So I'll kick it off by discussing my team, the defending national champion UNC Tar Heels.

The Heels began the unofficial defense of their title last night with a close victory over perennial in-state basketball powerhouse, Belmont Abbey (well, they are close to Davidson, at least geographically). The final was a nail-biting 107-59. Monday they kick it off for real with a Coaches For Cancer game against another big-time program, Florida International, led by their new coach, Hall Of Fame @$$hole Isaiah Thomas.

The Tar Heels are ranked pre-season anywhere from #2 (likely too high) to #7 (which may also be optimistic), depending on the poll, yet no matter what the perception this will prove to be an interesting year for them. Though many seem to concentrate upon their loss of Tyler Hansbrough, the challenge for this team will be in replacing the play outside and not down low. With skilled players such as Ed Davis, Deon Thompson, and Tyler Zeller, as well as the addition of frosh talent in John Henson and the Wear twins, they have one of the better frontcourts in the nation - still. However, the college game is won or lost by guards, and this will be the question. Larry Drew II did not show much last season (to be fair, playing behind Ty Lawson and Bobby Frasor he did not get much chance), yet he does have McDonald All-American tools at his disposal, particularly as a pass-first option. Plus, freshman Dexter Strickland showed the ability to score big at the high-school level (and prep hoops here in Joisey ain't no cakewalk), but no one knows how that transition to the next level will work for him. The perimeter defense should improve this season with the return of Marcus Ginyard, though he is not the offensive threat that Danny Green proved to be - some nights, anyway. All-in-all, it will be a taxing season for Roy Williams down in Chapel Hill. A return to the Final Four is not out of the question, but I would not buy my tickets yet. The Tar Heels may develop into a 30-win team, but are a turned ankle away from a 20-win one.

OK, now it's your turn - tell us about YOUR boys!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote