View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: This "Only GRINDERS" thread is not for you if.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
...you only make (and only ever plan to make) coffee in a drip maker with paper filters. (takes deep breath...) Unless you already buy professionally ground coffee beans a quality conical burr mill opens up a broad range of brewing methods and, likely as not, will improve the quality of whatever coffee you're already drinking.

A high end grinder is optimized for all coffee brewing methods particularly espresso/turkish and/or volume grinding (Mazzer, Macap, etc.). Lifetime investment. Zero upgrade pangs.

An intermediate grinder is optimized for all coffee needs and may perform well for espresso and moderate grinding volume (MDF, Rocky, etc.). Long term unit. Slight upgrade nervousness if espresso or volume grinding comes to the forefront.

A low end grinder is optimized for drip (paper or goldfilter) and may perform well for press, vacpot and, probably, mokapot. Less than 10-year investment and best for low volume. Zero upgrade trembling if you stick to drip and press - otherwise, thoughts of more control and less dust will begin to haunt you.

Grinders are very much a "get what you pay for" thing. Cheap grinders don't do well for demanding brewers and expensive grinders will break the budget of someone who cannot already smoke $10 cigars all day long. When you think grinder (IMO), think about future needs and alternate brewing methods and get the very best you can afford.

I am a firm believer in avoiding used grinders. Possible exception: professionally rebuilt/refurbed and waranteed machines. Miracles happen but most "I just got a great deal on a used grinder off ebay" stories are disappointments. Good grinders stay in the family - spent-out grinders slide quietly off to auction (like horses).

So my friend.... in the office I currently use the attached set-up. What are your thoughts as Christmas is approaching and Jane is always needing suggestions.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coffee setup.jpg (63.4 KB, 413 views)